Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Updates - finally!

I am sorry it has been so long since I have updated! I have really been trying to keep my 40x40 blog updated since it has an actual deadline. Once I turn 40, it's all over. The blog, I mean. it has been a crazy couple of weeks, but what's new right? I finally got the job I have been discussing since October! I start on March 22nd, right after Spring Break. Kate got into the daycare/school we wanted her to get into. The school goes all the way through 8th grade but not sure if we will keep her there or move her to the school Brooke went to, which we LOVE! and the best news of all - Brooke got into ICMS! As you probably remember this is the school we picked out months ago. It is an independent charter school. It is most definitely parent driven, we actually had to commit to a certain number of parent hours each semester. The principal is fantastic - I told my dad yesterday that in my opinion, she rules the school with a satin-gloved, iron clad fist! She is obviously well-respected by parents, teachers and students. I know a lot of you have questioned this applying to Middle School and honestly so did we. We live in a great district but the Middle School in our district is not good, in our (any many others) opinion. As a matter of fact when we went to their Open House the other night, the assured us that our 6th graders would be "safe in the basement." Hmmmmm. A group of mom's from Brooke's school cornered the principal to ask more questions as they decided not to have a Q&A at the Open House. We told her we had some concerns and had heard some rumors. She replied with, "are you talking about the drugs or the knife incident?" Hmmmm, ok. Actually neither but let's go with yours! So to say we are happy and relieved is not the half of it! There are three or four different "charter-type" schools in Oklahoma City. ICMS seemed to have everything we wanted - core curriculum with a nice balance of extra-curricular activitites including athletics. To say we were happy she got in doesn't begin to describe it! Jay stopped by the school at lunch to introduce himself and buy Brookie a sweatshirt - we took it to her at school! I don't think she has taken it off since! We are so proud of you Brookie!!

No comments: